These hand pies are made with a buttery and flaky pie dough and stuffed with a fresh blueberry peach fillling.
- 2 3/4 cups (365g) all purpose flour + 1/4 cup for dusting
- 3 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (220g) unsalted butter, very cold and cubed
- 4 tbsp vegetable shortening, cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup ice water
Egg Wash + Topping
- 1 large egg + 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
Blueberry Peach Filling
- 1 cup (150g) fresh blueberries
- 1 cup (150g) chopped peaches (about 2 small peaches)
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup (55g) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 cup (120g) powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, water, or milk
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Drop in the very cold and cubed butter and shortening. Make sure you pull it straight form the fridge so that it’s as cold as possible.
- Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work the fat into the flour. By the end you should have small pea-sized lumps all throughout.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of ice water and mix with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Mix in the other 1/4 cup and stir to combine. It should turn into a shaggy dough.
- Liberally dust your surface and dump the dough out of the bowl. Dust the top of the dough mound with more flour and work it in, forming a large and smooth mass. Careful not to overwork so you don’t melt the butter.
- Pat into a rectangle about 1 inch thick and cut in half. Wrap each half in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Blueberry Peach Filling
- While the dough chills, make the filling. Add all of the ingredients to a saucepan over medium heat and stir to combine.
- Stir occasionally until the mixture starts to bubble, then stir constantly. Let it bubble and thicken for about 2 minutes or until the peaches are coated in a purple-blue hue from the berries.
- Scoop the mixture into a heat-safe bowl to speed up the cooling process. Let it cool to room temperature before forming the pies.
- Whisk together the egg and water to create an egg wash. Set aside.
- When the dough is chilled, take out one half and roll onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a rough 14″x14″ square. It’s ok if it’s not perfect, just get it as close as you can.
- Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut the rough edges and then cut the dough into 4 squares. Again, they don’t have to be perfectly square, but should be closer to a square rather than a rectangle.
- Working on one square at a time, transfer each to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the edges of the dough only on one half, then place about 1 1/2 tbsp of filling on that half leaving a small gap around the edge (see picture in post for reference).
- Fold over the other half of the dough and crimp the edges with a fork. Repeat this process until you’ve filled all 4 pies.
- Place the pan in the freezer and work on the second half of the dough. Once it’s rolled out and cut, take the pan out of the freezer and continue to fill the rest of the pies.
- Place the pan in the freezer again and chill for 15 minutes while you preheat the oven to 350F.
- Once chilled, cut vent holes in the top of each pie. You can do slits all along the pie or a cross shape like I did here. Brush the pies with more egg wash and sprinkle with the combination of granulated and raw sugar. If you don’t have raw sugar, you can just use granulated. Use up all of the sugar.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Allow the pies to cool on the baking pan for about 30 minutes, then make the icing.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice and drizzle on top of the pies. Now dig in!
FROZEN FRUIT – You can use frozen fruit, just thaw in a colander to allow any excess water to drip off.
VEGAN OPTION – To make this recipe vegan, swap the butter for vegan baking butter like Earth Balance. It tends to be a bit softer than dairy butter, so freeze the sticks for about 15 minutes before use. For the egg wash, swap with a mixture of 4 tbsp plant-based milk with 2 tbsp maple syrup.
Keywords: hand pies, blueberry hand pies, peach hand pies, peach blueberry