Extra soft gluten free apple cookies with peanut butter frosting sandwiched in between. They’re a unique twist on one of my favorite snacks – apples and peanut butter!
Gluten Free Apple Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups quick oats (certified gluten free)
- 3/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour (with xanthan gum*)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (or vegan butter), room temp
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup finely diced Granny Smith apple (1 medium apple)
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (or vegan butter), room temp
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1–2 tsp milk (of any dairy or non-dairy variety)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
- Peel the apple(s) and chop into 1/4 inch cubes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar using an electric mixer.
- Once light, smooth, and fluffy, mix in the egg and vanilla.
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients (so you don’t get flour everywhere) and then fold in the apples.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (1 1/2″ diameter), scoop your cookies onto the prepped baking sheet. Space them 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the center is dull and the edges are golden brown. Make sure they’re fully baked. If you’re unsure, it’s best to bake an extra minute.
- Let the cookies cool completely then start on the frosting.
Peanut Butter Frosting
- Cream together the peanut butter and butter.
- Once combined, mix in the vanilla, powdered sugar, and salt.
- It should be pretty thick at this point so add 1-2 tsp of milk until smooth.
- Once the cookies are cooled, match up similar sizes.
- Scoop the frosting into a ziplock bag and snip off a corner. Carefully swirl the frosting on to half of the cookies and place the other half on top. Gently press them together as they’ll be very soft.
- Enjoy when fresh or store in an air tight container in the fridge. They will keep up to 4 days and continue to get softer and softer.
*If yours doesn’t have xanthan gum mixed in, add 1 tsp xanthan gum to the 3/4 cup of gluten free flour.
Keywords: apple cookies, gluten free apple cookies, peanut butter cookie sandwiches, sandwich cookies