These fluffy and buttery dinner rolls are baked with a swirl of tangy cranberry sauce.
- 1 cup (150g) cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup (55g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60g) water
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 packet Fleischmann’s RapidRise® Yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (120ml) water
- 1/4 cup (55g) unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- In a saucepan over medium heat, mix together the sugar and water until completely dissolved (about 2-3 minutes).
- Once it’s clear, add the cranberries and cornstarch. If frozen, the mixture will take a bit longer to cook down.
- Once it starts to bubble and the cranberries soften, gently mash the cranberries with the back of your mixing spoon. Continue to stir until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the orange zest. Transfer to a glass container and store in the refrigerator while you make the rolls.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, and salt.
- In a measuring glass, combine the milk, water, and butter cut into tablespoons. Heat in the microwave for 30-45 seconds until warm, but not hot. The butter may not melt all the way.
- Pour into the dry ingredient and stir to combine. Add in 1 cup of flour and mix until it forms a shaggy dough.
- Begin to knead the dough inside the bowl using your hands. Add another 1/2 cup of flour if it’s still too wet. The dough should be sticky, but not too thin.
- Continue to knead until you reach a smooth dough. Press a clean and dry finger into the surface. If it sticks, keep kneading and add 1/4 cup of flour at a time until your finger no longer sticks and the dough slowly springs back.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Lightly dust your surface with flour and place the dough in the center. Pan into a rough rectangle and roll out into a 10×14″ large rectangle using a rolling pin.
- Spread the cooled cranberry sauce in an even and thin layer.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut off any rough edges and then slice the rectangle into 12 equal pieces. Cut it in half length-wise and then into 6 slices width-wise. (see picture in post for reference)
- Roll up each strip and place into a greased 8×8 baking dish with 4 rows and 3 columns. (see picture in post for reference)
- Cover with a towel and rest for 30 minutes, until nearly doubled in size. If you live in a cold climate, preheat the oven at the lowest temperature. Once it’s preheated, turn it off and place the rolls inside. The proof best at a warm temperature.
- After 30 minutes, remove the rolls from the oven and preheat it to 350F. Brush the rolls with an egg wash (beat together the egg and milk). Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- While they’re still warm, brush with the melted butter and dig in!
Keywords: dinner rolls, cranberry sauce, cranberry rolls