This brownie turtle pie is extra fudgy, topped with an easy homemade caramel, and baked in a savory walnut pie crust. It’s a pie recipe you won’t forget!
- 1 9-inch Diamond Walnut Pie Crust
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (dutch processed preferred but not necessary)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Diamond walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 8oz cream cheese, room temp
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp and cubed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, room temp
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Whisk together the melted butter and sugar. Make sure the butter isn’t too hot before whisking in the eggs and vanilla.
- Once smooth, fold in the flour, cocoa powder, and salt using a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter into the walnut pie crust and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow the pie to cool at room temperature for 20-30 minutes then add the ganache.
- To make it, measure out the chocolate into a heat safe bowl and set aside.
- Bring the heavy cream to a boil and the pour it over the chocolate. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour it over the cooled pie, careful not to overflow it. Place the pie in the fridge for at least 2 hours to set.
- Once the pie and ganache has set, make the whipped cream.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk together the cream cheese and sugar. Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature.
- Once smooth and airy, turn the mixer on medium and slowly pour in the heavy cream. Turn the mixer up to high and whip until you reach stiff peaks (about 2-3 minutes)
- Pipe the whipped cream on to the pie and place it back in the fridge. If you are making the pie ahead of time, leave the pie as it is right now and then apply the caramel sauce before you serve it.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the sugar. Whisk occasionally at first, but then continuously as it begins to melt down. This takes about 8-10 minutes.
- Once melted, leave it alone and let it darken. This happens VERY quickly so don’t walk away.
- When it reaches an amber color, remove from heat and whisk in the butter. Make sure the butter is room temperature otherwise your caramel will seize up.
- Whisk in the heavy cream, which also needs to be at room temperature.
- Once smooth, mix in the sea salt.
- Pour into a glass container and allow it to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes before drizzling on top.
- If you’re baking your pie ahead of time, store the caramel in the fridge and warm it up in the microwave (30sec – 1min) before drizzling on top.
- Finish off the pie with a sprinkling of more walnuts and it’s ready to serve. Enjoy!
Keywords: brownie pie, turtle pie, chocolate pie, walnut turtle, walnut crust